UPDATE: GlobeKit v1.2 is under approval by the Asset Store. It contains important bugfixes related to landmarks and a bunch of other map features!
After few weeks of night time work I’m happy to announce the release of GlobeKit, an all-in-one solution that provides you full access to the iOS MapKit framework (using Google Maps) for your games!
I strongly believe that location based gaming is gonna get bigger and bigger in the next future, it’s just a matter of finding the killer formula for it. All the newer devices are equipped with GPS, so the user base for it is huge and that’s why I decided to create this plugin which was completely missing for Unity (please correct me if I’m wrong, but I couldn’t find anything at all so far).
So, let’s go to the facts, what can you do with GlobeKit?
- Create Map Views inside your Unity game in a fully customizable way (position, rotation, size, map type, zoom..)
- Travel instantly with one call either to the user location or a specified one.
- Create your custom landmarks on the map and have full control over them.
- Draw as many layers of geometry as you want on top it, thanks to the draw API subset.
- Full access to reverse geocoding. Do you want to know at which address your user is? Now you can with just one call!
- Map to textures and direct geocoding.
Using this plugin is really straightforward, it’s just a matter of one method call to get each of those features, making the integration seamless with your games.
This plugin is available on the Asset Store with a promotional launch price of 35$!
The Android version will come in the beginning of the next year for free to all of those who will buy the plugin within the first two weeks from its launch, so you’ll better get it before the price goes up (standard average plugin price ~ 50$).
Despite the outcome of the sales, I must say that I’ve really enjoyed working with it and that I’m gonna use it myself a lot.
Thanks for your attention and I hope to get a nice feedback from you